Finding Joy In Makeup
Welcome to the Finding Joy series! Here I will be sharing activities that help me to find joy in my life despite whatever my current situation may be. My hope is that you can also find joy in your life. Whether it be through any of these activities I share, or hobbies and experiences that you love.
Makeup gets a bad rep, sometimes. It can be viewed as fake, vain, unnecessary, false “advertising,” I’ve heard so many negative ways to describe makeup. Here is how I like to describe makeup: empowering, fun, unique and creative. If you can’t tell, I’m a big fan of it. I’ve been getting into makeup a lot more lately. Putting on makeup “just because” has been my favorite form of “me-time” self care. There are several reasons why I love makeup. I thought I’d share them with you today, along with my favorite products.
5 Reasons Why I Love Makeup
- I love the fun colors: If you know me, you know I love bright colors. It’s no surprise that my favorite makeup products are eyeshadow and lipstick/lipgloss. They are the most fun to play around with when it comes to fun colors.
- One Word: SPARKLES: I don’t really need to say anything here, except that sparkles give me life!!
- It helps me prove to myself that limitations are meant to be passed: You may recall, from this post, that I was born with facial paralysis. This makes it hard to put on eyeshadow, and even eyeliner sometimes. So anytime My eye makeup comes out looking great I get excited.
- It’s something I can enjoy/bond over with my sister: My sister is so talented when it comes to makeup. She has taught me so much and introduced me to some great products. I love having something to bond over with her. Check her out on Instagram.
- It picks me up when I feel down sometimes: This doesn’t happen all the time, but sometimes when I’m having a bad day doing my makeup makes me feel better.
My Favorite Products & Looks
I don’t get to buy makeup as often as I’d like, but even though my collection is small, it’s filled with products that I love, and will continue to love.
Anything Rare Beauty: I have been a fan of Selena Gomez for so long now, so I knew I would love her makeup line. I just didn’t realize how much I’d love it. I’ve got everything from eyeshadow to foundation from Rare Beauty, and I want more. I wouldn’t be surprised if one day this brand consists of 90% of my makeup.
Urban Decay Stoned Pallet: This pallet is everything!! The colors are so vibrant, and if it wasn’t clear before – I love sparkles.
Easy To Use Eyeshadow: As I mentioned earlier, putting on eyeshadow can be challenging for me. I love easy-to-use products, like eyeshadow pencils or liquid eyeshadows. It just takes a swipe and there’s no mess.
Retractable Eyeliner: For the same reason as previously stated, retractable eyeliner makes doing my makeup easier. It also feels a lot better than using a pencil.
Kopari Lip Gloss: This is a new purchase and I love it for everyday wear. It’s moisturizing and smells amazing.
As you can see, I have a special relationship with makeup. When I wear makeup, yeah I feel pretty, but it’s much more than that. II hope this post conveyed that.