Healthy Eats: A Picky Eater’s Guide To Eating Healthy(ish)
Welcome to Healthy Eats! This series will show you the recipes that I love. This says a lot considering that I don’t like a lot of food. If you have a recipe you want me to try send it my way. I’m always looking for new meals to try.
It’s been a while since I’ve written a Healthy Eats blog post. What a great way to come back with a post about the number one struggle I have when it comes to eating healthy. My taste buds are SO PICKY!!! Please tell me I’m not the only one who’s a picky eater. I’ve struggled with this for years, but I’ve come up with a few ways, and recipes, that have made eating healthy a lot easier. I’m sharing them all here with you today. Picky eaters rejoice, I’ve got your back!
Tips For Picky Eaters
- Give yourself plenty of options: Knowledge is power for picky eaters! The more recipes you have to choose from,
the more likely you are to find some ones you like. I follow quite a few food bloggers, so I have a
plethora of places to look when I am wanting to try something new. I’ll do a separate post in the future listing them all.
- Don’t beat yourself up, keep trying: If you don’t like something you made, move on to another option. I can’t tell you the number of times I made something thinking I would like it but didn’t. I used to throw in the towel and grab the unhealthier option. I would justify that this is all I have to eat because I didn’t plan anything else. Now I know better. I’m not as strict with my meal plan and I don’t give up just because one recipe didn’t work out.
- Look around before you buy: I’m always hesitant to buy cookbooks because I don’t know if I will like what’s in them. I’d hate to buy one only to discover I can only eat one or two things in there.
So, I’ve come up with a rule for myself to follow the author and try out a few of the recipes they share online before committing to buying the book. So far that has worked for me when I did
this with Love Sweat Fitness’s Hot Body Meal Plan and Guiltless Nutrition Guide.
- Create a habit around the meal: When all else fails, see if you can get your taste buds to change by creating a habit around what you are trying to like. Tell yourself you are going to try it at least once this week. Then maybe increase it to two- or three-times next week, and so on. I did this with lemon water before and now I’m trying it out with salads. I still have yet to accomplish this
with Apple Cider Vinegar shots, but one day it will happen.
My Favorite Recipes That Help Me Eat Healthier
- Anything with Cauliflower: Cauliflower has saved me in my weight loss journey. It has multiple uses, which is great for picky eaters like me. It can be used for so many things! Check out this post for recipe ideas.
- Homemade Reese’s: Your girl has a serious sweet tooth. This gets me in so much trouble and is one of the reasons my weight loss has been so slow. When I can find a healthier option I do it.
For this, all you need is dark chocolate and peanut or almond butter. You simply pour a teaspoon of melted dark chocolate into a mini cupcake liner, freeze, add the nut butter and freeze again.
Then you add a final teaspoon of melted dark chocolate and freeze one more time. Once they have hardened store them in a container. Now you have a healthier alternative to your favorite candy.
- Lunch bowls: There are so many options for these! I have gotten most of my favorites from Love Sweat Fitness guides. Two of them are a southwest bowl and grilled chicken and veggies. These make great options to meal prep as well.
- Egg Bowl: If you want a high-protein breakfast look no further. I usually get tired of eggs pretty fast but not with this recipe. All you need to do is sauté some spinach with 2 eggs and 2 egg whites, then add some turkey bacon, a pinch of cheese, and a tiny bit of honey. Put it all together in a bowl and you have, in my opinion, a perfect breakfast.
That is everything I have learned so far. I still have a long way to go in my weight loss journey, and lots to still learn. I hope some of these tips and recipes help you in your journey. Let me know if you try any of these out, or if you have any tips for picky eaters that I didn’t touch on, by commenting below.