That’s how far we are from not only a new year, but a new decade. It’s honestly hard to wrap my mind around how fast this year went. Are you feeling the same way?
Because this is a great time to reflect on the year I’m sharing my top five memories and lessons from this year. I’ll also be sharing five dreams I have for 2020. I encourage you to do the same today. It’s a great growth and goal-setting exercise.
Reflecting on 2019
This year has brought me a lot of lessons, tears, growth and memories. Overall I can look back and say it was a good year though. A lot has changed, including myself. Here are some of the highlights and lessons.
- Memory: The Fitness Marshall’s Sweat Yourself Sexy Tour: I still can’t believe I actually got to go to this. I’d honestly say it wasn’t just a highlight of my year, but a highlight of my life. The Fitness Marshall crew has helped me find my passion for dance fitness again. I’ve also gained confidence by posting dance recreations on my Instagram page, something I never thought I’d have the courage to do. It was cool to meet them and personally thank them for the impact they’ve had in my life. I hope I can see them again in 2020!
- Lesson: I am stronger than I think: There were so many times this year that I accomplished things I didn’t think I could physically do. The most memorable example of this was when I attended my first CrossFit class. I haven’t been back since, but I’m making it a goal to at least go twice a month in 2020.
- Memory: Moving out of my childhood home: This was an unexpected, but yet expected memory this year. While I knew we were wanting to move, once we did it happened fast. I was unsure of how I would react to this change but so far it has been great.
- Lesson: In order to grow I need to get comfortable with not being comfortable: I got too comfortable in many areas of my life toward the end of the year, which explains why there wasn’t a lot of growth that happened. The reality is that if I want this blog to be more successful, I need to make more time to devote to it, even if that means getting up early to do it. If I want to become healthier I need to stop looking for the quick options and cook at home more often.
- Memory: Becoming A GenTwenty Contributor: This has been a huge blessing to my career. I’ve only been a Contributor at GenTwenty for a few months but I can already tell it has helped my writing improve. I am grateful for this unexpected opportunity to advance in my writing career. I can’t wait to see how this will impact me in 2020.
Redirecting My Mindset for 2020
There are so many goals I want to accomplish next year. I’ve chosen my word for 2020 to be intentional. This means that I’m going to purposely live in a way that is going to help me achieve the goals I set. Here are some of the dreams I have for 2020 that align with those goals.
- Win an LSF Challenge: I’ve been participating on and off in Love Sweat Fitness challenges for over a year now. I’d love to win a challenge next year. To do this I need to put 110% of my effort into the challenges and see them through completion.
- Go to a conference/ Get coaching: I’d love to grow professionally by getting my cup filled through the experts. I’m not sure which way that will take place yet, but I know I’d like to do it by either going to a conference or getting coaching.
- Travel to Charlotte, NC and Atlanta, GA: I’ve been wanting to visit these two places for a couple of years now. I’m hoping this is the year I make it happen.
- Reach the halfway mark (at least) in my weight loss journey: This will be my fourth year on my weightloss journey. It’s time to step it up and start hitting some big milestones.
- Have $1,000 saved: Having better finances is a major goal I’ve committed to in 2020. It is starting by creating a $1,000 emergency fund. I want this completed by the end of the year.
I hope that 2019 has brought you joy, or at least some great lessons to take into 2020. Let’s walk into 2020 more determined than ever to make the most of our lives. What are you most excited about in the new year? Let me know in the comments below!